Refugee Conference 12th December 2015
Following a legal and medical fact finding mission to Sicily, and Lampedusa in June 2015 supported by the Pakistani Medical Association, followed by a visit to Calais in September 2015, the Association of Muslim Lawyers & the Society of Black Lawyers will be hosting a conference entitled the "The Current Refugee and Migrant Crisis- Do they have a place in Europe" at Central Hall Westminster (Storey's Gate, London, SW1H 9NH) on 12 December 2015.
The aim of the conference is to bring together a range of stakeholders including those with primary responsibility for the crisis in order to influence the international debate and to call for a more humanitarian approach to the refugee crisis. The approach should have at its core the understanding that the fate of refugees/migrants is a concern for the whole of Europe and that we must recognise the fundamental rights and wishes of refugees themselves.
The main themes of the conference will be:-
• Do refugees/migrants matter?
• Humanitarian solutions to the Refugee Crisis
• At what price Fortress Europe?
• The Refugees' Story
• The Future for Refugees Arriving in Europe
We are delighted to announce the participation of:
• Enzo Bianco (Mayor of Catania)
• Maurice Wren (CEO, Refugee Council)
• Judge Khurshid Drabu CBE (Upper Tribunal Judge, Immigration & Asylum Chamber)
• Courtenay Griffiths QC (Barrister)
• Alison Harvey (Legal Director of ILPA)
• Lindsey German (Founder, Stop the War Coalition)
• Toby Sculthorp (Sky News)
• Esohe Aghatise (Equality Now)
• Sabrina Mahfouz (award winning poet, writer and playwright)
• Canon Stephen Saxby (Canon of St Barnabas Church, Walthamstow)
More speakers still to be confirmed.
Ticket Booking link: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/refugee-conference-refugees-and-migrants-do-...
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org